This is another one of those chicken curries that was created in an attempt to prepare chicken curry with a different taste. Even though the ingredient list looks a bit lengthy, it is not a difficult dish to prepare. Especially for me quick is always the key. With the added aroma of dry roasted coconut and whole spices and the richness of cashews it reserves its spot for any special occasion.
Print / Save this Recipe
Print / Save this Recipe
Serves around 7-8 people
|Oil||- 3 tbsp|
|Onion||- 1 (3/4 lbs - finely chopped)|
|Ginger Garlic Paste||- 2 tbsp|
|Tomato||- 2 (0.3 lbs - chopped)|
|Turmeric Powder||- 1/2 tsp|
|Chilly Powder||- 4 tsp|
|Coriander Powder||- 1 tbsp|
|Fennel Powder||- 2 tsp|
|Garam Masala||- 1 tsp|
|Chicken||- 2 lbs|
|Salt||- to taste|
|Water||- 1 cup|
|Cashews||- 15 no:s|
|Curry Leaves||- 1-2 twigs|
|Grated Coconut||- 3/4 cup|
|Cloves||- 6 no:s|
|Cinnamon||- 3 - 1" sticks|
|Cardamom||- 6 no:s|
|Chilly Powder||- 1 tsp|
|Water||- 1/4 cup|
|Curry Leaves||- 1 twig|
- Soak the cashews in water for 30 minutes.
- Dry roast the coconut in a pan until it is almost brown along with the curry leaves (1 twig).
- Add cloves, cinnamon and cardamom to the coconut and roast for a few minutes and turn off the stove.
- Add the chilly powder and mix well for a few minutes and let the coconut mixture cool.
- Heat oil in another pan and add chopped onions when the oil is hot.
- Saute the onions until it is transparent and just starts to brown.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and chopped tomato to the sauteed onions and saute until the tomatoes are mushy and oil starts to clear out.
- Now add the powders - turmeric, chilly, coriander and fennel - to the sauteed onion mixture and mix for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the small curry sized chicken pieces to the masala and mix well.
- Add salt to taste and garam masala to the chicken and mix it.
- Close the pan and cook until the chicken is 3/4 done. No water is needed. Keep stirring in between.
- While the chicken is cooking, grind the cooled coconut mixture into a smooth paste with 1/4 cup of water.
- Add the ground mixture to the 3/4th done chicken and add 3/4 cup water and let it cook completely.
- Grind the soaked cashews with 1/4 cup of water to a smooth paste and add it to the chicken. Adjust the water if needed.
- Turn off the stove in 3-5 minutes and garnish the curry with curry leaves.
It is an awesome chicken curry which goes well with rice dishes as well as any kind of rotis.